Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Should Have Taken the Spread

GL and I took a few hours out of our gluttonous Sunday of Taco Bell and Guitar Hero III to check out a band... I don’t know if you’ve heard of them. They like Nickelodeon. They’re called The XYZ Affair. We’ve mentioned them once or thrice before.

Rocking the night in front of a crowd of... well, what are numbers anyway? Let’s not quantify the night. It’s all about qualification here at TRS.

Recounting a conversation with Bones (bass) that night, I’m surprised the Complement (van) actually survived the trip to DC (via Philly). Next time you see him, ask how the drive down was.

The set list (pictured) confused me, and not because of the defecation. Maybe it was the 40, or the Sparks, or the PBRs (I swear I wasn’t drunk... it was a Sunday night for crying out loud), but I don't remember XYZ playing "A Little Lye" or “Good To Know But Hard To Tell” (which I didn’t even know was a song; they have an EP of the same name) on Sunday night. The encore, “Hello Hello Hello”, was also not played, but it was getting late. Quite late. On a school night.

The new stuff sounds good. XYZ pulled out the older one of the two, “Trial”, at Dcist’s last Unbuckled show. The newest song, “Sarah”, is fantastic. (By the way, I don’t know the real titles of the new stuff. I’m just going off of the set list. Yep, mailing it in.)

All in all, a good show, as expected. The sound was the best I’ve heard in the 5 shows attended. It was also nice to see a fan (besides the Rockists and friends) singing along to all of their songs.

No comments: