Friday, July 20, 2007

Here Come the Truckers


One of our true favorite bands -- one of those bands that just seems to nail down that whole thing we're always babbling about here on Rockist -- the Drive-By Truckers just so happen to be rolling through town tonight, July 20, my birthday. Pretty freaking great. They'll be at the 9:30 Club, and it's sold out. Hopefully you're ahead of the game. I'd link to some tickets on sale on Craigslist, but my work blocks me from using Craigslist at work because it includes "Personals and Dating." Damn shame.

They're doing a new thing this time around though, calling it The Dirt Underneath. The idea is to get back to their roots by going acoustic and rootsier, telling lots of stories, and -- I have no doubt -- swilling a good deal of Tennessee whiskey. But they're also supposedly doing a half "Rock Show", meaning they'll spend the latter hour plus decimating our ear drums and working the room into a frenzy. Oh, and one other thing...supposedly Stax legend and Rockist HoF member Spooner Oldham will be playing with them tonight.

In honor of their stop in DC, here's my top five lyrics from DBT songs. Feel free to post your favorites in the comments. See you at the show.

"Well, my daddy didn’t pull out, but he never apologized / Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies. " - Mike Cooley, 'Marry Me'

"Have fun, but stay clear of the needle, call home on your sister’s birthday. Don’t tell them you’re bigger than Jesus, Don’t give it away. " - Jason Isbell, 'Outfit'

"Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there’s a fit about to get thrown"
- Patterson Hood, 'Heathens'

"Cocaine rich comes quick and that's why the small dicks have it all."
- Mike Cooley, 'Gravity's Gone'

"I’ve lived with your mama for eleven years, through good times and bad times, fist fights and tears / but something comes over me when you come near / so won’t you come over and sip on this beer." - Patterson Hood, 'Bulldozers and Dirt'

Honorable mention (for not being an actual lyric):
"The sun is shining, the pollen count is going down, the ice caps are melting and Big Star's 3rd is out on vinyl. It's fucking great to be alive." - Patterson Hood, webpage update, 4/24/07

1 comment:

Ben said...

My favorite's also from "Heathens":
"It gets so hard to keep between the ditches / when the roads wind the way they do."

Apparently they just did a record as the backing band for Betty LaVette, which has me totally stoked. Her album "Got My Own Hell to Raise" is awesome.