Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What's Playing on GL's iPod?

The answer? These four songs, on infinite repeat. They're all from 2007, but since I didn't make a year end list, I thought I'd throw 'em up now.

1. The Besnard Lakes - "Devastation"

Reminds me a lot of Secret Machines, what with the heavy, propulsive beat and all the cool sound effects. I wish the rest of The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse was half as good.

2. Kevin Drew - "Backed Out On The..."

Drew got J. Mascis to play guitar on this one off of Spirit If... I love it so hard. The video is great, too.

3. Bon Iver - "Skinny Love"

Gorgeous song from Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver. Not your typical Rockist offering, but wonderful nonetheless.

4. Panda Bear - "Bros."

I really wanted to hate this album - it was so hyped I could hardly stand it. But I'll be goddamned if it isn't one of the best albums I've heard in years. This one's longish at about 12 minutes, but there's a reason it's the centerpiece of the album, Person Pitch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy shoot! You listen to Bon Iver? I also love Skinny Lover and have been listening to it on repeat.

G. L. Naut said...

yeah, i'm obsessed. maybe it's just cuz he's from the midwest? regardless, can't wait til the album comes out...