Monday, February 4, 2008

Observations from Iraq

During my stay here in Baghdad, I've noticed a couple things: the current US Embassy has the greatest sandwich bar known to man (100 feet of meat and cheese, with more energy drinks than you can handle), a white MacBook was probably not the best choice of computers to bring with me (it's no longer white), apparently "Monterey Jack fuckin' cheese" is delicious, and as much as I love our soldiers and contract soldiers and respect what they do for our country, their taste in music is slightly (read: extremely) irritating.

It's unfortunate that the best music I've heard is the Iraqi guy on a bullhorn wailing away in Arabic after dark. If I have to listen to another GnR or Linkin Park song in the bar on camp, I'm going to shoot someone. I'm still searching for Iraqi rock and roll in the Haji shops (and no, that's not an invitation to send me Clint Black albums).

On that note, I'm off to the shooting range to pop off a couple automatic weapons. Goddamn, I am manly...

5 comments:

G.H. said...

That "Iraqi dude" is the 'mueddin', Rob, he's announcing the call to prayer.

rob said...

well, it sounds great. props to him.

Jimbromski said...

The guys with the biggest guns control the stereo. Sad but true.

Jumbo Slice said...

Why are you in Iraq? I'm guessing business, not pleasure...

rob said...

jumbo,

Haven't you heard? Baghdad's gorgeous this time of year. The winter harvest festivals are not to be missed.

Yeah, it's for business. Indoor air quality assessments know no boundaries.